Changes in Circumstances
For applicants whose circumstances change, moving them to a higher band including those placed in the emergency band, the registration date will start from the date they moved into the higher band.
For those applicants whose circumstances change, moving them into a lower band their registration date will remain unchanged.
Properties advertised on Homefinder Somerset are usually offered to applicants based on banding and registration date and the individual choices made by applicants.
Further details on how applications will be banded and prioritised can be found in our policy. Please remember to tell us about any changes in your circumstances by logging into your online account and updating your application form.
The Homefinder Somerset Scheme prioritises applicants into the following bands:
Gold Band - High Need
- Households accepted as homeless by a Homefinder Somerset partner local authority
- Households who lack 2 or more bedrooms in their current home or have been confirmed as overcrowded by an officer from a Homefinder Somerset partner local authority
- Victims of harassment or violence including racial harassment at their current property within the Homefinder Somerset area.
- Households whose current housing situation is assessed to have a high impact on their health or welfare
- Households living in homes assessed by an officer from a Homefinder Somerset partner local authority as being in high disrepair.
- People living in supported accommodation within the Homefinder Somerset area who are assessed as ready to 'move-on' into independent accommodation.
- A young person, who has been looked after, fostered or accommodated and has had a duty of care accepted under the Children Act in the Homefinder Somerset area, who is ready for independent living and has a support plan in place.
- Households who have four or more silver band housing needs with the exception of those applicants that are found to be intentionally homeless.
- Social housing tenants whose homes are subject to major works such as rebuilding/renovation or re-designation
- Households living in a property within the Homefinder Somerset area managed by a Homefinder Somerset partner landlord with no legal right to succession and the landlord intends to pursue possession of the property.
- Households who have been awarded 'moderate' medical impact and 'medium' disrepair award from the Silver Band.
Silver Band - Medium Need
- Households who are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, where a Homefinder Somerset partner local authority has not accepted a full homeless duty. This includes households subject to the Prevention or Relief duties of the Homelessness Reduction Act
- Households who lack 1 bedroom in their current home
- Applicants that have dependent children and are lodging with friends or family or in accommodation with shared living facilities.
- Households whose current housing situation is assessed to have a medium impact on their health or welfare
- Households living in homes assessed by an officer from a Homefinder Somerset partner local authority as being in medium disrepair.
- Applicants living in separate households not by choice but due to the lack of suitable accommodation available, and wish to be re-housed together
- Applicants who can demonstrate that they need to move for employment reasons, or to give or receive support where significant harm would result if this was not provided.
Bronze Band - Low Need
- Households that are assessed to be adequately housed and to have no housing need
- Applicants with adequate financial resources to meet their own housing needs. This includes households whose home needs to be adapted to meet their needs where they have the resources to pay for this work or to find alternative accommodation
- Applicants with no dependent children that are lodging with friends or family or in accommodation with shared living facilities
- Households whose current housing situation is assessed to have a low impact on their health or welfare
- Households living in homes assessed as being in low disrepair
- Applicants applying for extra care or sheltered housing that have no local connection
- Households that have been assessed as having deliberately worsened their housing circumstances
- Applicants living in supported housing within the Homefinder Somerset area or care leavers who have not been assessed as being ready to live independently
In addition there is an emergency band for applicants that require an 'urgent' move to ensure their safety and welfare. Specific rules apply to applicants in the emergency band.
Equality & Diversity
Our approach to equality and diversity issues can be seen in our Equalities Assessment, shown in our publications.