Social Housing

Social housing (properties owned by a council or housing association) is provided to eligible households with a housing need. As a tenant you tend to have more security, the providers often offer 5 year tenancies or long term assured tenancies, and guarantee services such as repairs. 

The Homefinder Somerset scheme is made up of the four Somerset district local authorities:  Mendip District Council, Sedgemoor District Council, Somerset West & Taunton Council and South Somerset District Council, working together with the housing associations (not-for-profit organisations) who have homes in Somerset.

Somerset West & Taunton Council own and manage their own housing stock. The other 3 local authorities have transferred their housing stock to housing associations.

Please click here to see a list of the Homefinder Somerset partner landlords. 

Homefinder Somerset is where council and housing association homes available to rent in Somerset are advertised. People who are registered with Homefinder Somerset can view the homes being advertised and tell us which homes you would like to be considered for. This is called bidding, but does not involve any money. 

Gov.UK provides useful information on council housing.

Shelter provides useful information on how to get a housing association home.