How can I get help to pay towards my care and support costs?

If you move into Extra Care Housing and you have eligible Care or support needs (or both) as per Care Act 2014 which have been assessed by Somerset Council, you will be offered a financial assessment from Adult Social Care. They will talk with you about your finances and, using national rules, work out one weekly contribution you must pay which will be towards both your care and support cover and care costs (individual care needs).

People with more than £23,250 in savings will not be eligible for help towards their care and support costs. (Capital assets, such as property, will be discussed as part of the financial assessment) .

Financial and Benefit Assessments will not be offered to anyone who hasn’t been assessed as eligible by the Local Authority.