Money worries

A change to a job or financial situation can result in difficulties in paying your rent, mortgage or other key bills.  This happens to a lot of people, but there are things you can do.

·  Contact your landlord (or their letting agent) or your lender to talk about your situation as soon as possible. 

·  Contact your energy suppliers and other household providers, many have schemes to assist you.

·  If you receive housing benefit, or the housing element of Universal Credit you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (known as a DHP). 


Understanding your budget is important, use the Citizens Advice budgeting tool to see how you could manage your money better and help to pay your bills.

There are services available to help you deal with your situation. Contact them for a chat, the sooner you talk to them to find a solution the better things will be.


Money Advice Service helps people manage their money and deal with debt through free and impartial advice.

National Debtline a free, independent and confidential debt advice service run by the charity Money Advice Trust.

Turn2us a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice on dealing with debt and accessing benefits.